Lifeguards are at the heart of our Aquatic Centre. Reporting to the Aquatic Supervisor and under the leadership of an Aquatic Team Lead, you will provide safe, enjoyable aquatic opportunities for the public through the provision of lifeguarding and instructional services. You will lifeguard leisure, recreational and competitive swimmer; prevent injuries through public education and respond appropriately when injuries and incidents do occur. You will answer public inquiries, test and record water sample results, and clean aquatic and change room areas by providing janitorial services appropriate to your role. You will mentor volunteers and lifeguards-in-training and serve as an advocate for children and other vulnerable members of our community.
Lifeguards with instructor certifications will provide safe, enjoyable aquatic opportunities for the public through instructional services based on the certifications they hold. They will instruct swimming lessons and/ or advanced aquatic programs, prevent injuries through public education and respond appropriately when injuries and incidents do occur. Additionally, Instructors will mentor volunteers and instructors-in-training and serve as an advocate for children and other vulnerable members of our community.
Position Type: 1 Part Time Positions Available
Pay Rate: $24.71/hour ($1 less while on probation)
Anticipated Start Date: October 2017
The collective agreement can be viewed by visiting:
The Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo, is a not-for-profit company, operating recreational facilities in the Wood Buffalo Region. The flag ship complex, MacDonald Island Park is Canada's largest community recreational, leisure, and social centre. Home to the Suncor Community Leisure Centre, Miskanaw Golf Club and Shell Place, MacDonald Island Park works under the umbrella of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
Internal applications will be accepted until October 9th 5pm.
First preference will be given to local candidates.
Mandatory Qualifications at Time of Hire: (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
Qualifications Provided by the Employer: (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of lifeguarding principles and practices.
· Knowledge of aquatic instructional programs and evaluation standards
· Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.
· A strong dedication to community service.
· Ability to promote drowning prevention through public education and special events with all facility users.
· Ability to promote water safety and drowning prevention through public education and special events with all facility users.
· Ability and willingness to be flexible in a changing work environment.
· Ability to establish and maintain respectful and cooperative working relationships with all teammates.
· Ability to communicate effectively with others.
· Ability to recognize and act to resolve potential problems proactively.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS &WORKING CONDITIONS
· This position may require travel between our various facilities within the Wood Buffalo Region. Access to reliable transportation is necessary.